Author Topic: Class based player system  (Read 2577 times)

FunkyBluJay

• View Profile
Class based player system
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:02 AM »
SO I had an idea for this mod because I think its too hard to get much of an audience. So heres my idea sometime in the future of development why don't you try implementing some simple class based system so you can atleast feel accomplished while playing. The classes would obviously be basically following the TF2 classes in one way or another not saying you can get to build senties and rocket jump but something of an equivlent for a zombie mod.

For instance you'd have like 1 medic on a team who could perhaps keep teammates from dying instantly I read you want to make it an infection later on. If you had a medic that could atleast save you atleast once and give it balance of course so you can't just spam to victory.

Then you'd have a soldier, or somebody who is fairly strong and possibly does more damage to zombies and what not. Like the medic you would only have a few on the team.

Right now I'm too lazy to think up the rest but you can feel free to think up some others.

What I was thinking was maybe at the beginning of the round it rolls to see who gets what class as a human, similar to being choosen as a ZM. And only a few people are the classes the rest are just stock players of course.

With a few key players it makes the people and ZM feel like they have a bit more to do in the game. And really the whole inspiration for this is how annoying the insta kill zombies are it just doesn't feel natural in anyways. If we had a medic you might just keep some people around longer.

Also keep in mind don't worry about this until after lots of development no need in worrying about this right now.

count_snipula

• lol
    • View Profile
Re: Class based player system
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
just a few problems,A:this mod is only made by one person.B:it would require a lot of programming and scripting.C:it wouldn`t be zombie master anymore.D:the zombie master wouldn`t have fun anymore.

nckwntzl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 04:41:47 PM »
instead of having classes, perks that you choose when you start a new life would probably work better.
basically, you would start out worse than usual (run speed is lower, less accurate with everything, less health, ect.) but you get x amount of points every life to put into different categorys. so you might have extra health, but you deal less damage due to higher spread and less accuracy. there also might be one perk so you get health regen but you have to stop moving and its slow, or you can retrieve ammo from misfires (if that is added) and possibly the ability to shoot semi-auto weapons faster, because of better dexterity. of course, all of this would be difficult to do with only one person working on the project, but its an alternative to the class idea.

Quentin White

• Wielder of the Lightbringer sword!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:42:04 PM »
Class system is always nice. But in my opinion, it doesn't fit ZM:BE gameplay stile.

RedKaos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 05:46:00 AM »
Well if you do think about it. It's very realistic to have different people with different skills. The game in my opinion would still be fun with or without a class system.

KaosH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
I agree with nckwntzl. Skills earned over time would be a lot better. How about items earned though a game. These games are usually long, and backbreaking anyway. So lets just say that Everyone starts off the same over time and as they progress through the map they each person can pick up an item that lets them specialize. For instance, one player picks up a medkit, and are now able to to heal players (if the zombies are no longer 1hitter quitters) or able to bring someone back from the dead (maybe after a charge/recharge period). Or a player picks up some sort of riot shield, that prevents him/her from getting killed by any zombies in the front, allowing survivors to ram/spearhead through thick sections of zombies (of course, the shield would break over time). Their could be blowtorch that allows players to fix broken items or prevent them from breaking (maybe materials such as scrapmetal can be pick up here or there).
I'm sure that Items with such abilities, would be allot easier to script then an entire class and experience system. That would make the game ALOT more strategic, and allow players a more diverse gameplay without needing to add a whole class system.

Items with certain abilities, sounds more realistic, and simpler.

EDIT:
Maybe the blowtorch can fix weapon durability, as to prevent jamming and etc.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:22:02 PM by KaosH »
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am awesome sauce
-------------------------------------------------------------------