Author Topic: Developer update thread  (Read 20380 times)

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Developer update thread
« on: June 20, 2010, 11:01:31 PM »
The official dev blog

In this thread we will present random and completely unassorted writings and screengrabs of the mod development. Sort of a development blog (When I was young, this word was not even invented).

So here we go, the first cryptic sneak peek of one of our new features:

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Developer update thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
Info on some of our new weapon features:

Manual action slide

Following the concept of manual pump action, the Makarov pistol will have this feature integrated into its
operation. The slide pull-back is needed in two situations:

1) If the weapon was completely emptied, the slide locks back and remains like this until a fresh magazine
is loaded. After this, the player has to press the secondary fire button to release the slide catch. The
slide will move back forth, load a new bullet into the chamber and the weapon is ready to fire.

2) If the weapon is jammed, a quick slide pull is needed to fix the problem. Pulling the slide back in this
situation will also eject the bullet that was in the chamber.

Note:
You can also pull back the slide whenever you want, to impress your fellow survivors without any of
the two situations being the case. It comes with a satisfying click sound at the cost of an ejected
bullet.

Gun jamming

Each firearm has a certain chance to jam while trying to fire a bullet. If a weapon jams, the player will be notified
by a loud click sound produced by the hammer hitting the firing pin. To unjam, one has to pull back the slide
manually with the slide key. The bullet in the chamber will be ejected in the process and the weapon is ready to fire
again. The chance to misfire for the makarov pistol is at 2%, which is not too often, but still noticable if it happens at
the wrong time.

Analog ammo checking

Instead of having information about the weapons' ammunition status on the hud, players will have to manually
remove the magazine from the weapon and "see for themselves" for many bullets are left. This is accomplished
by the new "Ammo check" key. When pressed, the magazine is removed from the weapon for a brief second and the
player can literally see the amount of bullets left in the magazine. The makarov pistol has a large cut-out
area on the magazine which makes this easy to check. The beretta M9 however does not, and the viewmodel hands
will literally put the magazine close to the player camera so one can take a look.

Alternate reload animations

There is a small chance of a different "more stressful" reload animation to be selected, which causes the viewmodel
to fumble around, taking more time.

*All of the above features are 100% working and coded, more features are to come, however we won't brag about
things we still have to materialize.
   :P

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »

Ironsights

Since every selfrespecting FPS has it these day, we decided to have it too. The above screenshots show the new "base" idle pose for sighted and unsighted mode. Also the sleeve was remodeled from scratch and the hand texture was painted with a more attractive color.

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:17:51 AM »

Weapon handling in ZMBE 2.0

New weapon features:

Ironsighting

Each firearm can be aimed down the sights to increase accuracy. (And because there is no crosshair provide the only reasonable way to aim). Sighted weapons will have a slightly reduced mouse turn speed and the movement speed of the player is greatly reduced.

------------

New weapon features
Manual action slide

Following the concept of manual pump action, the Makarov pistol will have this feature integrated into its operation. The slide pull-back is needed in two situations:

1) If the weapon was completely emptied, the slide locks back and remains like this until a fresh magazine
is loaded. After this, the player has to press the secondary fire button to release the slide catch. The
slide will move back forth, load a new bullet into the chamber and the weapon is ready to fire.

2) If the weapon is jammed, a quick slide pull is needed to fix the problem. Pulling the slide back in this situation will also eject the bullet that was in the chamber.

Note:
You can also pull back the slide whenever you want, to impress your fellow survivors without any of
the two situations being the case. It comes with a satisfying click sound at the cost of an ejected
bullet.

------------

Analog ammo checking

Instead of having information about the weapons' ammunition status on the hud, players will have to manually remove the magazine from the weapon and "see for themselves" for many bullets are left. This is accomplished by the new "Ammo check" key. When pressed, the magazine is removed from the weapon for a brief second and the player can literally see the amount of bullets left in the magazine. The makarov pistol has a large cut-out area on the magazine which makes this easy to check. The beretta M9 however does not, and the viewmodel hands will literally put the magazine close to the player camera so one can take a look.

------------

Analog magazine checking

The amount of magazine is displayed by pressign the "ammo-checking" key. The left hand reaches in the pouch and after some fumbling in the pocket all magazines that are in the inventory will be held up briefly.

------------

Gun jam

Each weapon has a very small chance to misfire and jam itself. To unjam, pull the slide back to eject the jammed bullet.

More to come..

There are quite a few more features, however these remain my dark dark sekrat.....
Hop by our new forums and voice your opinion! You like our manual action pumping in 1.2? then you will love 2.0. If you hate us for it, man the flamestationz! You will hate us even more!

All these gun features will take up all these new keys on your keyboard / mouse. Have this little spoiler and try to guess the new ones:

LMB - Fire
RMB - Ironsight toggle
SLIDE - Perform slide/pump action
C****_***O - SEKRAT
C****_*******E - SEKRAT

R*****_******Y - SEKRAT
R*****_********Y - SEKRAT
D*****_****K - SEKRAT
C*****_*******E - SEKRAT

Our new forums:
Zmbe.theicecave.net

Laters,

-cat

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »

1897 Trench gun
model created by RedRogueXIII, used with his permission
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:17:44 PM by cat »

Trotskygrad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »
rawr, hope you don't mind me posting here.

Can you add a server setting to turn random events, such as gun jamming and the "stressful" reload off? I'm pretty sure it would be useful and appreciated by the community.

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:10:19 AM »
I am going to consider making these server-side variables.

Trotskygrad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
ok, thanks you very much!

Quentin White

• Wielder of the Lightbringer sword!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
Is there anything new? I want to see some new things you have done so far.

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
Some more weapon considerations
For v2.0, I want to have a small and diverse selection of firearms. Since I am doing the complete mod on my own, I did acquire the help from outsiders in form of permissions to use their models. However on most of these, I still have to animate, rig and in some cases, texture the model on my own (the people who helped will be listed in detail once each weapon is presented in a PR demonstration).

For now, these weapons are being worked on for v2.0

Makarov
Beretta 92F
1897 Trench Gun
MAC10

If I find the time to model them myself (or I obtain a suitable model from somewhere), a revolver and a bolt action rifle might be in too. So the extended "wishlist" for now is:

Enfield/Mauser/Remington
G3
.44/.357 Revolver

(the main sticking point about revolvers is not the model, but the fact that animating reload animations for these is a nightmare for me)

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 12:38:07 PM »

ZMBE 2.0 Shotgun features

Overview
In this news piece I would like to present you a feature that you would normally only find in obscure turn-based russian-made turnbased tactical games. Following the idea of giving the player as much control over weapon interaction as possible, new shotgun specific features are listed. Please note that previously announced features like ironsighting, gun jamming, ammo checking, magazine checking and manual pumping all apply to this shotgun too.

Basic reload procedure
Each press of the two different reload buttons will load either a 'shotshell' or a 'slug' into the shotgun.

Tube magazine

Each loaded shell will push the previously loaded shell further down the tube magazine. Therefore the shell that was loaded last will be the first in the chamber.

Mix and match
Players can choose to mix the load as they want to prepare for any situation that might arise. Since reloading is quite slower than in the average shooter, having the right type of ammo loaded when facing a specific type of zombie will be very important (or having the gun loaded at all). And yes, the ammo loaded will have a different effect on the different zombies players will encounter.
Also an observant Zombie master might even catch players with their pants down if they advertise their current load over VOIP and sv_alltalk is on.

Shot shell
The classic shotgun ammo, fires a cone of small steel shot with considerable spread. It obvious disadvantage is the loss of effectivity over distance.

Slug
Solid Steel projectiles, very effective against harder materials the zombies might be protected with. It also has a much stronger kick which will throw off the aim after the shot is fired. Re-adjusting aim is going to affect follow up shots much more than firing shot shells.

As always feel free to voice your feedback here and in our forums:
Zmbe.theicecave.net

Quentin White

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 04:01:23 PM »
Will there be more kinds of ammo for another weapons, like pistols and machineguns?

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 05:04:18 PM »
Technically possible, however I need to sort out how I want to handle magazine reloading and ammo dropping. So for 2.0 only the shotgun will get 2 ammo types. If that works out well I am going to look at different ammo types for other weapons.

Quentin White

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 04:51:55 PM »
Cool.  ;D

Yes, you should do G3. Its a bit heavy, but still great gun. Do you plan making more german guns, like MP5 or MP7 ?

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
The amount of guns I pack into this mod is solely depending on how much time I have. If I only had the time I would pack 30 guns into it. But for now, v2.0 will see only 2-3 weapons.
Also I am going to model a CZ550 rifle for the mod.