Author Topic: The General Ideas Thread  (Read 6842 times)

Moehewa

• View Profile
    • Email
The General Ideas Thread
« on: June 22, 2010, 03:14:40 PM »
Well seeing how we had that little back and forth the other day with Cat and some of the RATZ guys I'm going to put some of the goodies we discussed right here.

Selective ammo pickup
Right now, I believe, when an ammo box is picked up the entire box of ammo is removed from the game world. I.E. I only needed 2 bullets and ran over a box of ammo, picking up the box of 30 bullets. I gained the 2 bullets, but the remainder of the 28 bullets are gone, consumed by the void.

Now what was put forth was a system like Zombie Panic. Where a box of ammo had to be 'used' to pick ammo. I.E. the 'E or use key' pressed on it. This would then pick up what ammo you needed to fill your reserves leaving whatever remained in the box in the world for someone else to pick up at a later date.

Huge Blob
Now everyone loves those small, flying globs of death. Imagine a massive, slow moving, nearly impossible to kill gelatinous mass with goodies floating around inside it. A passage denial entity, large enough to fill a hallway, impossibly slow moving so as no one could complain they didn't see it, and with no attack. Only an AOE (Area of Effect).

Personally I would love to see the thing suck in anyone who touches it. Killing them slowly, say 5 damage every 2 seconds. Allowing them to look around and see what's happening through a blob like screen before they die a horrible death. This would then allow other people to try and save the trapped and allow the trapped to try frantically to save themselves.

Again, my personal tastes, but given it's a blob of great size, I would give the thing a considerable amount of HP, bullet resistance, and a massive weakness to fire damage (gas cans).

Zombie Tweeks

This is only what I'd like to see.
Standard zombie, headcrab missing crab; reduced speed say 1/3 to 2/3 human speed stagger speeds so there are some slightly fast zombies and some slower ones. Keep the instant kill. Reduce point cost slightly. Reduce body shot damage slightly.

Wobbler; Keep their speed, though it would be sweet if he could be animated to have more of a lurching limping run like the burning zombies from Doom 3. Reduce damage from instant kill to say 15-20 damage.

Blobs; Keep em as they are. Love those little buggers.

Weapon tweeks
Iron sights.

Well that's what little I remember from the talk the other day. Hopefully the other guys will get around to getting on the forums so they can give a little more detail on their own ideas as these are not all mine.

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The General Ideas Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:16:08 PM »
Selective ammo pickup

Does make sense and does not look too hard to code. Going to consider it.

Huge Blob / Zombie Tweeks

Diversifying the game for the zombie master is the next task after we finish the new weapon code. Having a huge path-blocking enemy that is basically clogging your passage is a very interesting idea. Also zombies getting special weaknesses to certain weapons or body areas is big priority. (And regular zombies actually getting head hitboxes to shoot at  :P)

Weapon tweeks
Ironsights is being worked on. + Some other new weapon features. You might need to consult a firearms manual when playing because weapon handling will require using up to 4-6 keys on your mouse or keyboard (firing not counted here)

LMB - Fire
RMB - Ironsight toggle
SLIDE - Perform slide/pump action
C****_***O - SEKRAT
C****_*******E - SEKRAT

R*****_******Y - SEKRAT
R*****_********Y - SEKRAT
D*****_****K - SEKRAT
C*****_*******E - SEKRAT

Quentin White

• Wielder of the Lightbringer sword!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 07:14:22 PM »
fear meter
Your alternate reload animations inspired me.
Why do not we have fear meter?
When you see zombie attacking your friend, your screen will start to rumble and you will have to wait for a little time in safe place. Each time you see zombie attacking your friend, you will get one point to your fear meter. More points, more screen rumbling, more stressful animations on reloading (maybe more screaming).
Maybe you can make some realy scarry zombies, which will increase your fear meter when you look at them.

You shoud add some drugs too. The can be used for resisting fear for a short time

Me.hungry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:36:13 AM »
Sounds a little to extreme seeing that its all one hit kills

VydaX

• View Profile
Zombie attacks
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
i got an idea, take away the one hit kill and put something like infection/poison in the game and some places for antidote that would be more challeging for people and the one hit kill is very annoying your dead so fast and thats just weird

and maybe more maps :P

Fagu_Aegeis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
i got an idea, take away the one hit kill and put something like infection/poison in the game and some places for antidote that would be more challeging for people and the one hit kill is very annoying your dead so fast and thats just weird

Or actually a hit equals 25 % health left with poison and 2-3 mins left without any possible antidote avaliable.
So the infected survivors can still help the others to survive.

Also a crippled zombie. Cheap, weak and extremely slow, useful for ambushes.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:33:29 AM by Fagu_Aegeis »

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
An infection based damage type is high on my list. Once I get this Makarov animated.....

nckwntzl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »
I think there should be an entity foe mapping called weapon_spawner or something so that the mapper can put those and at the start of the map it will spawn a random weapon from a list that the mapper gave it.

then theres a bit more variation and realism

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:20:58 AM »
ZM already has a weapon_loadout entity which randomly equips players with a set amount of weapons. And the same functionality is available in ZMBE.

Trotskygrad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:12 PM »
An infection based damage type is high on my list. Once I get this Makarov animated.....

if so, make injectors that can be used on yourself (RMB) or others (LMB) that remove infection

make them drop randomly from infected zombies or spawn on the map, slot 4/5 would be good for these.

There's a lot of good epi-pen/injector weaponmodels out there, I'm sure you can find one (hint, look in the skins section of the TF2 ubersaw)

Also, if you plan to add more weapon and ammo types, reskinning ammo boxes would be nice.

It wouldn't be too hard to alter the text or recolor a 9mm ammo box to be for a different type of ammo (say Makarov rounds)

Same applies to rifle ammo, I think it's a lot more realistic to have the SKS feeding from recolored SMG ammo cans than paper boxes of hunting ammo.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:56:59 PM by Trotskygrad »

cat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 09:50:39 PM »
Once I get the first 3 or so weapons completed (code + animations) I am going to create an ammo system that strictly adheres to real world realism. Means every single ammo type will get its own pickup model.

count_snipula

• lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:49:49 PM »
                                                              ZOMBIE TWEAKS
all zombies/wobblers/etc ,should look different in appearance/vary appearance .leave the speed for all as it is.
let players get infected [look at monsters thread and look at mine for more info][fps perspective].make a harmless zombie animation/script/etc to let zombies eat dead players to regain health when they are not commanded or can`t get to players [alive].zombies vary damage to varied attacks or something.!?
                                                                WEAPON TWEAKS
just a few more weapons like molotovs or grenades [look at my reply on the weapon thread for more info].
leave the manaul pump.
                                                                 GAME TWEAKS
make the game/mod look at bit less half lifey [i know it is hard but it would improve it tenfold]. :D

count_snipula

• lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 04:03:06 PM »
make clases just [medic and normal] ,karls fear meter idea and the keys you press to use radio[css status/etc radio style].

KaosH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
Personally, I don't like the Idea of infection. If i wanted to play against other players, I would go to zombie panic. Survivors vs Zombie master is what I play this for (other than the realism). zombies not under the zombie master command would make the zombie master position completely void. BUT! I do like poisoning. For example, instead of instant kills, blobs poison the player, and over time (if the player isn't already killed) the survivor will bleed out, and die from the poison.
As I posted in another topic: http://zmbe.theicecave.net/index.php?topic=28.0
We could add a Med Kit that allows a player to become a sort of healer for the survivors.

It would be preferable for only 1 of each of said 'Class Items'. More each player having a specific and individual role makes the game more challenging and fun. Having 50 med kits would ruin the idea of healing because the role would become standard and not unique.
It would be fun for a survivor team to have:
-1 tank with a riot shield to make a path for other players to get through
-1 medic with the med kit to heal poison, and rehabilitate downed players
-1 Engineer, that fixes guns, shields, and etc.
- the rest could just have guns, who's sole purpose is to be the zombie killers. The most important players, the ones who do the general killing.

I like the 1 hitter quitter zombies, but maybe some kind of body armor can be added. Instead of more health or less damage, armor can be added to absorb killing blows (damaged armor can be fix by the designated engineer)

If infection is such a big demand, then I guess a different game mode should be added. As an option, not a standard.

To highlight what I said earlier.
ITEMS with abilities NOT classes
BLEEDING not infection
ARMOR not weaker zombies.

I want to preserve the gameplay that is already there; and maybe add somethings here or there. The basis of the mod is already AMAZING. I wouldn't want to see another generic infection zombie game like Zombie Panic (Not that it isnt a good game, its just that there are too many like it)

OH!! Maybe some sort of friendly fire option, Just for the realism. OPTION. Cuz I know a lot of jerks who would kill me for no real reason.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I am awesome sauce
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Quentin White

• Wielder of the Lightbringer sword!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »
I kind of like the infection idea. But i dislike the idea of playing as zombie.

Player killed by infection should change into NPC, which zombie master can control.

Cat Probably want this onehitkill thing in new version. I would prefer zombies with weak attacks and  100% infection rate, than zombies killing player with one hit instantly, like in old version. And ofcourse, there shouldnt be any cure for infection.  With this infection rate and no cure,  the game will still remain hard and frustrating(This is the main reason i like this mod  :) ). But the degree of frustration will be lovered a bit.